29 August 2006

Running Away

Remember when you were little and you'd get mad at your mom and then "run away." I think the furthest I ever ran away was to my playhouse or to the trees around our farm. Once I ran away from Bible Day Camp. I ran all the way down mainstreet with Olive Ackerman (the Pastor's wife) and my babysitter, Denise, running behind me. I actually made it all the way to the bridge (which in my mind would've meant true freedom) before Denise caught me. I paid her back by biting her all the way back to the park where the daycamp was being held.
I think I REALLY didn't want to be at daycamp that day. I don't really know why. That's the sort of thing I normally enjoyed.
Today I felt like running away from my job. It was an extremely frustrating morning. I was ripped a new one by an 80 year old woman who is paranoid about people asking for personal information...but,guess what? That's my job. If you want the bank to give you money, you have to supply a plethora of personal information. It's really frustrating when you are actually trying to HELP someone, and all they will do is be mean to you.
Like, for instance, the other day I had to call someone to get some information on the association of condos I was working on. So, i tried to call the president of this particular association, and his wife answered. I asked for the man, and she YELLED at me, saying "Why do you think he'd be here at 9:30 in the morning--he's at work." I explained to her that I had no idea where I was even calling; that this was the number I'd be given for her husband; and that I needed some information. She was very huffy and arrogant and frustrating.
People are very paranoid. And I am here to say that I don't think it is worth it to be so paranoid all of the time. Not everyone out there in the world is out to screw you, general public. Some of us are just trying to do our jobs. And sometimes that means taking your personal information. You can't get something for nothing. You can't have money without proving your income. You can't expect never to have to give some information in return for some information. And not every single business or company is out to screw you. Not everyone is against you. Not everyone is a bad guy.
Now, I'm not saying don't be smart. I am saying, I don't think we are to be PARANOID. I don't think we should be constantly suspicious of everyone and everything. I don't think that's a healthy way to live. And that type of living DOES, in fact, have an impact on those around you.
End rant.
Actually, Billy and I are running away for the weekend. We are going to a B&B literally in the middle of nowhere at a place called Volden Farm (I know, now that I told you that, you are probably going to figure out where that is, stalk me, take my money, and kill me...signed, paranoid person). It is truly in no-man's land, and we will basically be alone.
Being alone with my husband is about the nicest thing I can think of at the moment. We don't see much of each other lately. And getting away to a little house in the middle of the prairie (300 acres to be exact) sounds absolutely sublime.
So, at least when I want to run away, I can always just pull up the website of the place I get to run away to---but I can't go yet. I can't wait to get there. I can't wait to get away from the sounds of the train and from bills and from annoying people working on our street at all hours of the day and night and never finishing, and from demanding bosses and mean, paranoid people, and even the pets.
Last Saturday night I worked at the Pastry Shop. I love the pastry shop. I love the people who work at the pastry shop. It is not a glamorous job--you have to do lots of dishes and things, but I love it. It's a wonderful atmosphere. On Saturday night, the owner sent me home with EVERYTHING that was left in the case. It is insane the amount of stuff I got to take home and share with friends. She told me this is a "perk" of working there. Apparently, another perk is going to be being 300 pounds. Actually, I am hoping that this is my new weight maintenance/loss plan--that I will get so sick of this stuff I will never want to see it, much less eat it again. In truth, I hope that doesn't happen, because I always want to LIKE this place. It is one of the gems of the town in which I live, and I don't ever want to resent anything about it. Plus, I get tips. I have never worked at a job before where I get tips--unexpected money. It's very fun. I have cash. I can go for coffee if I want to.
I have come to the conclusion that this job is a perfect fit for me right now. I never have to work Sundays. I don't ever have to work during the first part of the week. I still have plenty of free time to myself. The only drawback is that it means less time with Billy; however, the silver lining to this is that it is forcing him to have to make plans with his friends. I think this is a healthy thing for him given that he never really gets to see anyone now that he works nights. So, again, it is a really great fit for us, and I like the idea of some extra cash rolling in as well.
Back to purging. I thought I was done with the purging. Well, the other day I read crazy aunt purl's blog about her current round of purging (www.crazyauntpurl.com), and I got really inspired to take another looksie around the house. I think there is still more to be done. Sometimes you have to peel back a layer and then wait for the dust to settle to see what else you can do. I think I want to tackle another round with the clothes and another round with the memorbilia. After that, I think I will just be able to maintain using a principle where you go into a room and in five minutes get rid of 27 things. I tried it a few times, and it really works. I love having things be decluttered, and now that we are finally nearing the end of the clean-up from a year of house projects, I am getting to feel like our house is really our home again.
I think I have to take our little dog to the chiropractor. Yes, our vet has a chiro. Yes, to many of you, I am sure this sounds insane. But I'd rather pay for her adjustment than a bunch of drugs that I then have to attempt to give to her (and if you know this dog, you would understand the complete impossibility of this). Her knee seems to be dislocated. I think she has been playing too hard trying to run after her ball or play with the big dogs. I hate the idea of vet bills. Bah!
In the category of "Yes, we really are losers!" Billy and I are making our fourth run through the entire Alias series in order to be prepared for the Season Five release in November. This leads to us obsessively watching it. Which leads to my husband making the same comments at the same points in the same episodes every time we watch them. It's really, really odd. You think he'd say something else sometimes--but I can almost predict his comments to the extent that I can now predict the episodes (after seeing them four times).
That's all for now. I encourage you all to take a risk in not being paranoid--take a risk to trust someone (a smart risk, mind you), to be vulnerable, to try where maybe before you have failed with someone or something. Leave your paranoia behind!!!!!! And be nice to the little people like me!!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Auntie Carol took Rosie (her horse for those that won't know that) to a chiropractor. Rosie loved it! Nickered and nuzzled the man as if to say, "Boy, I sure needed that."
Mom

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home