24 July 2006

Drought insurance: put a hole in your roof

Today two very exciting things happened, and I can't help but think they are somehow related. #1--The skylight guy finally came to install the skylights. This is after literally calling 16 different places only to have them laugh at me suggesting that they might install skylights, and having one place back out on us completely, and then finding this skylight guy only to have him procrastinate. Well, he didn't procrastinate all that long, but it seemed agonizing after the entire ordeal.
#2--For the first time this summer, it rained today.
So, it took me to put two holes in my roof and having workmen precariously perched on a potentially slimy, wet roof to "trick" the cosmos into sending rain.
I was thinking of how this principle might be adapted to work for farmers. Maybe you should remove the headers from your combines. Maybe you should poke holes in all of the tires on your trucks. Anything that would put you in the absolute WORST position to get ready for a good harvest. Then, and only then, will it rain.
So it seems sometimes.
This weekend, Billy and I made the most of the gorgeous, short-lived, summer weather. Friday night we had drinks at the SkyPrairie at the HoDo. If you don't know what it is, it is an amazing roof-top garden bar overlooking downtown, and it is filled with all sorts of indigenous prairie grasses and flowers. It is awesome. This we did on the way walking to Matt and Dana's where we were served a glorious supper and good conversation. On Saturday, husband and I explored what might possibly be a common interest/hobby/something to do together: garage sales. We found a complete handyman's encyclopedia from 1980 for $1.00. It has such entries as "how to install wood panelling" and also "how to rescue an injured person from the water" and also some actually useful entries. I also found some strange 1960's lamps that I then adulterated to suit my purposes to make a nice, noctural reading area on my porch. Saturday night we met Becky and Jason for drinks and dessert at Nichole's. And this is where we had the priveledge of watching a man running, weaving in and out of traffic, smiling like a lunatic, in nothing at all but his swim trunks. After about a half hour of this, he became tired and decided to sit down on the train tracks to rest. I guess I never realized what a great place to people watch Nichole's really is. Sunday we went to church and then came home. I spent most of the morning and afternoon in near 100 degree heat in my swimming suit, weeding the garden, with the sprinkler running on me. I was dirty, hot, and in the sun, and in my garden, and truly, truly happy the entire time. I did some pureeing and freezing into ice cube trays some of the herbs for future winter use (great idea, by the way). Then we spent the afternoon on the porch drinking Mojitos and reading the Pattern Language Book #2 (thank you, Matt Evans), brain storming, and laughing hysterically about all of the strange entries we were finding in the handyman's encyclopedia. Dana stopped by for awhile to make cupcakes, and we got to eat some of the remains thereof. Last night I went to dance, and then Billy and I watched About Schmidt (this is how behind in our moving watching we are) which I really enjoyed. I thought there were a lot of things to be learned in that film--like how to live your life in such a way as to actually count for something--to actually make a difference in lives instead of meandering your way through your daily, mundane, meaningless schedule. I liked it.
Time to go home and see the new, beautiful holes in my roof.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kiersten H. said...

I'm glad you've had several pleasant experiences lately.

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

1:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home