05 June 2006

The Purging is Complete

The basement and garage are empty. The garage sale was had (and not all that successful). The items have been donated.
The purging is complete.
And about $30 later, I feel that we have had a household enema. It is good to feel empty.
Funny thing is, as soon as I woke up this morning, I started seeing more clothes and things that I could easily part with.
I think we have this idea that we need all of this stuff to make us happy or secure or whatever. Our concept of what we "need" to run our lives it a bit twisted.
I am going to start trying to think every time I buy something about the fact that I will eventually also need to get rid of, dispose of, or donate said item. And every time I get a new piece of clothing I have to get rid of two.
One benefit of having the garage sale was getting to hang out with friends, Matt and Dana, and my sister and husband pretty much all day doing almost nothing (definately NOT making a lot of sales for some reason). Dana showed me how to start on my most recent knitting project--the clapotis. For this I am using the mohair-nylon red, purple, and white sparkly silver stuff that Dana gave me for my birthday. I am hoping it turns out well. By Dana's standards, this project is boring. But Dana is an accomplished knitter. I am not an accomplished knitter. I am definately, most certainly, still in the beginner category. But I have now acquired a few new knitting skills I wasn't planning on having. Plus I am getting to use the fun yarn. Plus this is preparing me to use the clouds of rainbow mohair I purchased a few months back. Additional knitting projects are knitting a really cute butterfly scarf out of some truly wretched cotton chenille (wretched b/c it keeps breaking). And I am also going to somehow magically knit a new seat cushion for a chair I inherited from my mother which will then go on the porch with the rest of the leftover but very cool mis-matched furniture.
I have not given up on my read a book-knit a project pattern, but I am stuck in the middle of several books and several projects mainly because I haven't had a huge chunk of time to finish any one of them, and frankly, sometimes I am just not prepared to read or concentrate--especially when the weather is nice. And, when the weather is nice, I don't really feel like hanging onto warm woolish types of yarn things either. So, a third activity is currently in the mix and will be for the summer--gardening! Yippee!!
This Thursday begins the summer Philosophy and Discussion Group that I am starting (with Dana's imput) at my house. The plan is to talk about worldview the first night. The second time we meet, we will discuss Relativism. Then, after that, the world is our oyster.
Two fun links today:
http://www.calorie-count.com/
Thanks go Dana, I now do not have to belong to ediets anymore in order to keep track of everything necessary to run a human, namely me, at optimal performance. You can join for free, and it keeps track of your calories and food and activity and tells you if you need to lose weight and gives you a REASONABLE amount of time to do it in (which was a relief to me).
http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/free/gallery.asp?memberID=171715
My brother's new online photo gallery. He has become a talented photographer in the past few years and is contemplating beginning to sell his works of art.
Our friends, Ben & Christina, had their baby last week. They named her Ava Marie. She was only 6 pounds. She is a peanut and very cute.
We had Billy's graduation party at our house this Saturday. This meant lots of good grilled and outdoor food, wine, cigars from Hawaii, and breaking in the new fire pit. I also had a cocktail party for work on Friday night and a day-long get-together for the bellydance troupe on Sunday, thusly, I am partied out. Nonetheless, I am very much looking forward to Knitty Naughties tonight. We are meeting at a local and for me very-conveniently-biked-to location. So, I am going to head there after yoga.
This week's project in the house is Mold Eradication and general clean-up in the basement. Yes, the mold has found a way to grow underneath the new paint we just put on the floor. So, we bought a dehumidifier and a bunch of bleach. I hope to be able to make the mold wish it were never created by God and to run away from my house permanently.
I am also on a quest to determine the source of The Smell in the kitchen that apparently only myself and NOT my husband can smell. It is a repulsive, moldy, mildewy, dead smell that happens from time-to-time. I do not care if I have to rip the kitchen to the bare walls to find it--The Smell is going down.
Other than that, I am struggling with several things related to being content in my job. Now that I know I have a husband who is gainfully and well employed, it makes it more and more tempting to think about doing something more up my own alley. I figured out we can have our debt paid off in 2.33 years at the current rate of pay with both of our jobs. With only one job, it is 5.4 or something like that. So, I will keep working and try to do other things to get the debt paid off sooner, and then, then we shall we what we shall do.
In the meantime, we are having to attempt to adjust to his working the swing shift. Which means, essentially, strange sleeping patterns and never having a face-to-face conversation all week long. And I really LIKE my husband and LIKE to spend time with him, so this is very, very upsetting to me. I am just praying that he will be able to go on day shift sooner than I think (right now there is no end in sight). It is sad to not see him very much (though I do like having time to myself--a luxury I have not had since we've been married, really).


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home