21 June 2006

Observations on an Anniversary

Today is my third wedding anniversary somehow. Someway time has passed this quickly, and I am suddenly catapulted into the world of being a "non-newlywed." It's strange. It seems like just yesterday we were married.
So far, I gotta say, it ain't been that bad, being married. Actually, overall, I think it's great. I don't know what everyone complains about all the time. Marriage certainly has many benefits. I enjoy them. My husband is very good to me. I try to be good to him (but I'm not very good at that).
I would say that so far the best thing I have experienced about being married is just always having someone to goof off with and to be ridiculous.
Example:
Husband and I were bored last Saturday night. No friends were around, we were exhausted and broke, and there was nothing too do. Too hot to watch TV, too windy to be outside, etc,etc.
So, after a glass of wine, I attempt to invent something to keep us busy while we were lying in the hammock.
"Let's play a game [this is not really a game mind you, but for lack of a better word] where we take animal names, combine them together, and then figure out what that animal would look like and act like, and then act it out."
Husband: ?????????????
Me: Like, for instance, squirrel and dog--"Sqog!" Hysterical, maniacal laughter ensues, but only from me.
Husband: (giggling) You are insane.
Me: (I am still laughing so hard that I can't speak and drool is starting to come out of my mouth.)
Husband:?????
Me: (Between laughs) HAAAA!!!!!!!!!!Now we have to figure out how to act it out BWAHHHHHHHH!
Husband: I'm not doing that. It was your animal combination.
Me: (laughing) (laughing) Ok, it would look like a dog but have a bushy tail, and it would eat nuts. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (crying mixed with laughing)
Husband: (he grabs me and starts soothing me and petting my head) It will be ok. You are insane. Calm down now.
Me: BWAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, the previous conversation is a pretty accurate representation of most weekends at our house. I love how you can have all kinds of little inside jokes between your spouse.

I also love that my husband and I grew up in the same town, and because of this fact, we can make "Mott Jokes" to each other.
A Mott Joke involves using the name of a person who lives in Mott. And it is not funny AT ALL unless you, yourself, are in fact a Mott Person.
Example:
"Honey, there is a miller [a miller is like a dusty moth, in fact, i think they are really called Dusty Millers. They are gross when you squish them.] flying up by the light."
"So, is that Chuck or Tina Miller?" [the Millers are our neighbors in Mott]
"I was thinking more like Craig Miller." [Craig is Chuck and Tina's son]
BWAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! HAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

See, this is only funny if you are a Mott Person.

Anyway, the point being is when you have shared history with someone (and we have upwards of our entire lifetimes together thus far) there is a lot of material to work with for comedic purposes.

I have a few good stories about learning to live with my husband. Most of our difficulties have been with nighttime and morning routines. We have a small house, small bedroom, and even smaller bathroom. And neither of us functions at all in the morning.

Well, one night after we'd been sleeping for hours, I had to get up to go pee. Husband was calmly sleeping.
I have to interject here for this story to make sense that I have actually been PARANOID of being abducted by aliens my entire life.
So, back to the story. I am in the bathroom relieving myself. In order to try to be considerate of my husband, I shut the light off in the bathroom before I opened the door to what is the cavern of our bedroom.
And, in the dim light, I see a figure standing right next to the bed in the dark.
It is an alien.
A moment passes.
I think, "Do I move? Maybe the alien can only see things in motion."
Fear takes over, and I scream.
Suddenly the alien is making really weird noises, petting my head, and simultaneously throwing me onto the bed.
I realize the alien is my husband.
"What are you doing?"
"I'm trying to calm you down. I'm trying to soothe you."
"Why are you standing in the dark like this??????!!!!"
"I was trying to remember to go to the bathroom after you were done."

Nice.

There was also the time when were were sleeping, facing each other. Suddenly, Billy says to me, "Hey, hold on a minute." And then he rolls over and goes back to sleep (or stays sleeping)

I have a few good traveling anecdotes as well. See, we have no kids. And we have credit cards. So, we can travel. So far since we've been married, the two of us have been to Glacier National Park, Yellowstone National Park, the Grand Tetons, Wyoming, Montana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Canada, Hawaii. (I, myself, have also been to Vegas and Paris). So, I guess we do travel a lot.
So, there was the time in Yellowstone when we were camping in early June. And we hadn't brought warm clothes along. And we forgot our pillows. And can I just say that in June in Yellowstone it gets really freaking cold. It snowed on our tent one night. We shivered the entire night long every night and slept on our dirty clothes as pillows. This night it was soooooo bad that we put the gas lantern inside and fell asleep with it on. Can you say "fire hazard"? Anyway, that same night, I woke up to just have this FEELING that something was outside the tent. And I heard a few twigs snap.
The next morning, we awoke to snow on the tent, and buffalo tracks in our campsite. They even left us some buffalo wool (I don't know what you'd call it, really). And the buffalo in Yellowstone are huge, dare I say, collosus, compared to the ones in good ol' ND. I think they were just wondering what this weird glowing green thing (our tent with the lantern in it all night) was doing in the middle of the forest.
Then there is THE story to beat all stories. But for that one, you're just going to have to ask me. It's not safe for the blog.
All this to say that if you are married, I hope that you love your spouse freely and well, and that you find joy and satisfaction in your marriage. And if you are single, find joy in your singleness. That alone time is precious, too, because once you are married, you get very little of it.
And also to say that I love you, Scoob. That you for being a wonderful husband and a funny friend to me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kiersten H. said...

That's so sweet... Plus, I laughed really hard at the alien story. If you'd like to tell me your new story, I'd love to hear it. God loves you and so do I

12:14 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

We were around on the aforementioned Saturday night!

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you make me laugh out loud and stangers stop and stare - all so enjoyable.

if i knew what dog you were using to combine with, i could actually imagine what a sqog would look like. someday you will act it out for me!

congrats on three years. i love you two together!

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home