01 June 2006

Nothing catchy to say today

No, I don't know why that picture of me posted twice. Lay off. It is computers. Or squirrels. I don't know.
A week after our trip, I am still quite literally trying to recover from jet lag. One thing has made this especially difficult. My husband now works the swing shift, and so his arriving home from work at midnight every night jars my sleep and makes me feel as thought I am basically "starting over" with sleep.
I do not deal well with sleep deprivation or things interrupting my sleep. I think that it is the primary reason I couldn't have kids.
So, anyway, I haven't felt much like posting since we got back due to the consequential fog I am living in and the insane amount of work to catch up on both at home and at work.
I would first like to say that two days ago, I found an entire piece of pizza in one of my hanging flower baskets outside. Yes, an entire piece of pizza. And earlier in the week, I had a very sick, slow-moving, mangy squirrel sitting in my yard. I wonder why, squirrel? Did you actually eat the rest of the pizza?
We also saw a squirrel carrying a donut up a tree the same day. What I want to know is, who throws so much food away. It is like the squirrels have access to their own bakery and restaurant sometimes.
The trip to Hawaii was filled with adventures and some fun along the way. Husband acquired a staph infection in his foot in a blister. Apparently, there is staph everywhere in Hawaii due to the tropical conditions. Gross. Which meant he couldn't be in the water or the sun for pretty much the entire trip.
We found this out when we went in for our spa day. We were to have massages, facials, and pedicures. However, after the massage, our two very gay masseusses starting totally freaking out about Husband's foot, saying we needed to get to the doctor right away and that he might be in critical condition soon if we didn't do something. Thus the spa day was ruined, and we spent some time getting to know the medical system in Hawaii, which, I would just like to note, is actually cheaper than here by a long shot. I was impressed.
Also, the day we were supposed to leave to come back here on the plane, I didn't realize it was the day we were supposed to leave. I thought we had one more day. And when I realized it, I felt like I had just gotten my life taken away from me for a short moment. And it was especially sad because we had saved the thing that we had most looked forward to (or at least I had) until that day, and then we didn't get to do it.
But what DID we get to do? Well, we drank lots of umbrella drinks, swam in the ocean a few times, went to a wedding, went to a luau, saw Pearl Harbor, had a long-ass flight from Chicago, saw a glass-blower, watched polo (briefly from the car), drove up to the top of a volcano caldera (dormant) and looked inside, ate seafood, ate seafood, ate seafood, had amazing breakfasts every morning at our beautiful hotel, drove around the island in our sporty rental car, got chewed out by locals a few times, made friends with a local a few times, went to art galleries, went to an oyster bar, went on a glass-bottom boat, sat on the beach, had drinks at a swim-up bar, slept in, slept in a bed that may as well have been a cloud, had a drunk man rant to us about his sick mother and father, and listened to LOTS of Hawaiian music.
I guess there was more, but I have to say that I was truly in a state of shock the entire time we were there. The environment was just SO different than anything I've seen before, and the atmosphere was so indescribable, that I felt like I couldn't really take it in. I felt in a daze the entire week. A week is not long enough. The best thing was the plants--everywhere there are plants and they are all huge and amazing and in bloom and smell gloriously.
And, now that we are back home, we have two full-time incomes again, and we can finally start our lives together. And this is an even better feeling to me than being on vacation. We actually are going to start having options--especially me--in regards to work and money and things that I want to do with my life (whatever that is).
In the meantime, I am doing lots of gardening. And after three years, I am finally winning the gardening war with my gardens. I am finally figuring out organic gardening. Things areactually looking pretty good--as in--there are actual plant growing, not just weeds. It's really exciting to finally start feeling some success at all of this.
This week is rummage sale week in which Dana and I will attempt to sell the fruits of our purging labors. I had one full car-load of clothes--unbelievable. This weekend will be Husband's graduation party at our house where we will imbibe wine and cigars from Hawaii and hang out with friends, grill, eat, drink, have a fire, and generally celebrate the last two years finally having come to fruition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home