28 March 2006

Is that actually a word???!!!

Fridge.
I just wrote the word "fridge" on a piece of paper. And then I stood there and stared at it, completely flabbergasted that this is actually considered a word.
Say it once--it's weird! Write it down--it becomes even more bizarre.
Do you ever have moments like these where you just realize the existence of something--a word, a body part, your own existence?
One time I was in the middle of a conversation with some friends when I noticed my forearm. It was like for the first time, I realized that I had a forearm, and that this particular forearm was my forearm. And I literally stopped and exclaimed, "This is my arm!"
When I was little I used to stay awake at night wondering at my own existence. It went something like this:
I exist.
Right now I exist.
And, I know that I exist.
What would it be like to not exist?
Would I know that I wasn't existing?
Why did God make me exist?
Will I always know that I exist?
I must exist, because I can ponder existing?
It is scary.
I hope gravy doesn't break, and we all go flying off of the surface of earth into space.

Most of my ponderings end somewhere like gravity breaking or something burning down while I am asleep inside of it. Or with aliens abducting me.

Anyway, I have a thing about words. Some words are fun words. Some words are bad words--not in that they are vulgar to the general population, but that they are vulgar for me. I have a list of words that I try not to allow to be said in my presence. It is a long list, but here are some of the words. These words are on the list because they, in my mind, are gross and violating to either say or write or hear or all of the above.
1. Purse. This is the worst one.
2. This one I can't even type. Women's undergarment.
3. moist
4. This is too much for me already. I have to stop and take a rest.

There are other words that I really, really like. Some are names. Like "Orin" which really isn't a word, it is a sound. How can you name someone a sound? Just say the name "Orin" once and look at how stupid your lips and face look in the mirror when you say it, and you will see why it is ridiculous.

I don't like the word belly. But I do like the word bellybutton. This is because I really like bellybuttons. I can actually turn mine inside out.

Some words I don't like because they are difficult to pronounce without straining your mouth--like "mime." It takes a lot of work to say "mime."

I like any word that is an adjective used to describe something of noteworthiness. Such as "glorious" or "resplendent," if you will.

I like any word or phrase that it seems like a British person would say to be pretentious, such as "executive."

So, all this to say that I think that "fridge" is an absolutely ridiculous word.

Sara and I were discussing blogs, and we have come to a conclusion. The blog is a sacred space for the blogger where the blogger herself can write her feelings and anything else she has to say without having to explain them or justify them to anyone else. Meaning, you should read this at your own risk.

For example, if I want to write about crazy love encounters with my husband, my parents will just have to deal with that.

I, of course, will write in code to protect the innocent.

But what fun is a blog if you can't really blog it out???!!!

I wish you all a day of realizations and weird words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home